CB Insights has unveiled the third annual Fintech 250 — a list of 250 of the top private fintech companies using technology to transform financial services.
The 2020 Fintech 250 cohort has raised approximately $49.2B in aggregate funding across nearly 900 deals since 2015, and includes startups at different investment stages of development, from early-stage companies to well-funded unicorns.
The companies were selected by CB Insights’ Intelligence Unit from a pool of 16,000 companies, including applicants and nominees.
They were chosen based on several factors, including data submitted by the companies, company business models and momentum in the market, and Mosaic scores, CB Insights’ proprietary algorithm that measures the overall health and growth potential of private companies.
Companies selected include Kreos Capital portfolio companies Biocatch, Currencycloud, GoCardless and Riskified.
2020 FINTECH 250 INVESTMENT HIGHLIGHTS
- Unicorns: 32 of the 250 companies (13%) are valued at or above $1B as of their latest funding round.
- Funding trends: In 2020 year-to-date (YTD), these 250 private companies have raised $10.3B in equity funding across 120 deals (as of 8/26/20).
- Mega-rounds: Since 2019, there have been 87 mega-round ($100M+) equity investments to this year’s Fintech 250, with 35 of them in 2020 YTD.
- Global representation: 46% of the 2020 Fintech 250 are based outside the US. After the US, the UK is home to the most Fintech 250 companies (38), followed by India (20).
- Top VC investor: Ribbit Capital is the most active investor in this year’s Fintech 250 companies. Since 2018, Ribbit has participated in 45 deals to this cohort of companies, including to Hippo, Nubank, Upgrade, Robinhood, and BharatPe.
- Top deal of 2020: Grab raised a $856M Series I in Q1’20 with participation from investors Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group and TIS INTEC Group.
- Most well-funded: Grab is the most well-funded company on the Fintech 250 list, having raised approximately $9.7B across 22 rounds since 2014.